Restorative Justice for Oakland Youth is seeking an intern for the Summer and/or Fall.
Restorative Justice for Oakland Youth (RJOY), founded in 2005, is dedicated to interrupting racialized mass incarceration of our youth, dismantling the school-to-prison pipeline, and creating a school culture of care and connectivity where everyone thrives. We interrupt cycles of youth violence, incarceration, and wasted lives by promoting institutional shifts toward restorative approaches that actively engage families, communities, and systems to repair harm and prevent re-offending. We promote restorative justice principles and practices in the schools, juvenile justice system, and community.
Note: This position is for 10-30 hours per week (flexible).
- Help plan trainings and events
- Attend biweekly staff meetings
- Conduct research for projects, presentations, and reports
- Assist with the preparation of grant proposals and reports as needed
- Attend meetings and trainings with Director and others as appropriate
- Assist with and participate in work at schools, communities and with juvenile justice youth
- Update Website, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media
- Other tasks, as needed
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Basic knowledge of social networking sites, HTML, and mailing lists.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High level of organization, attention to detail, and follow through
Goals of Internship:
- Gain experience working with a non-profit
- Interface with youth and youth-serving adults
- Learn more about and experience restorative justice
- Learn more about Restorative Justice for Oakland Youth and its mission
*Please note that this is an unpaid internship. However, RJOY can provide documentation for service, earning course credit, etc. We also provide travel stipends if needed.
If you are interested, please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject as Intern by Tuesday, May 26, 2015.